1. Database server = Instance (Processes + Memory) + Files (Database)
2. Single Instance Database = 1 Instance – 1 Database
3. RAC = Multi instance – 1 Database
4. On client access, listener creates dedicated server process which then accesses the database. Dispatcher pushes SQL in SQL queue, instead of creating individual server process for each client.
5. Data files:
>> Table Space is associated with .dbf files. One Table Space may be associated with several .dbf files.
>> Table space > Segments > Extents > Blocks (Header, table info, row info, data)
>> Server processes: represent client.
>> Background processes: processes running since server start (DBWriter)
>> Slave processes: work for either server or BG processes
7. Partitions: Range partitions, hash partitions, list partitions, sub partitions (e.g. range+hash)